Saturday, November 30, 2013

Lesson Study in Social Studies

Recently, I had the opportunity to read an article by Anne-Lise Halverson on Edutopia.  In it, she describes how she uses the process of "lesson study" to augment the development of her pre-service teachers during their internship years. In short, here is what the method looks like-

"1. Plan a study lesson that focuses on one goal.
2. Teach the study lesson. 
3. Observe others who teach the study lesson.
4. Debrief the study lesson experience."

Halverson goes on to report that this process has had glowing reviews from both her field supervisors and her internship students, and I can definitely see why. This model is ideally how I would like to teach, and (in my idealistic worldview) what teachers should strive for. In collaborating to plan the courses that I teach, my coworkers and I are definitely adept at steps 1, 2, and 4. However, time is always the enemy when it comes to teaching, and we rarely, if ever, have the opportunity to observe each other. It might also require a bit of a "culture shift" to be truly effective. What suggestions are there for finding these opportunities, and creating this more collaborative culture?

References: Halverson, A. (2013, November 21). Pre-service social studies teachers meet the lesson study method. Retrieved from 
http://www.edutopia.org/blog/pr-service-study-lesson-method-anne-lise-halvorsen

3 comments:

  1. Time! if only we had more of it. Like you, I would observe peers to gather great ideas, and even share some of my own:). I'm a mentor this year. The intern I advise usually has to ask me questions while passing me in the hallways:( . She hasn't had a chance to observe me, and I haven't seen her in action either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. One of the best ways to learn is to observe others in your field. We have been given a rare opportunity in my "learning community" this year to observe one another or have a mentor teacher teach one of our classes. Now that I am back from maternity leave I am eager to get started. Your blog post has reminded me of that very exciting opportunity that we have been "gifted"! I just wish this was something that was available for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! I agree with both comments above. TIME TIME TIME! Wouldn't it be great if we could take one day to observe our colleagues and vice versa? My mentor teacher and I also only talk in passing throughout the day, in fact we are in completely different buildings during most of the day! It would be beneficial to have a more effective mentorship program!

    ReplyDelete