Saturday, October 26, 2013

Reaction to Teachers: Staying Positive in Trying Times

Blogger Heather Wolpert-Gawron wrote an interesting piece that shares an anecdote about how she observed one of her colleagues burn out on teaching. This is too real a problem in many schools- I saw it in my previous position, and am fearful that one of my colleagues in my current position is undergoing the same sorts of changes. Of the strategies that Wolpert-Gawron offers, I think the most critical, (at least for me) is knowing your own limits as a teacher. Too often, in an effort to be a good employee, I've seen teachers say "yes" to tasks that probably stretch their abilities and time management skills to the limit- I too, have been guilty of taking on things that probably didn't get the full attention that they deserved. However, it is very empowering to be able to say "no" once in a while- not for selfish reasons, but because I'd prefer to do a few things well instead of many things adequately. I think it has increased my job satisfaction overall- I feel more proud of the work I do when I manage my commitments in such a way. This, along with Wolpert-Gawron's other tidbits, are useful advice in trying to keep our collective heads above water in this difficult profession.

References: H Wolpert-Gawron. (2013, September 30). Teachers: Staying positive in trying times. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/teaching-staying-positive-trying-time-heather-wolpert-gawron

1 comment:

  1. Great Article Randy, I especially like the first bullet that says "pinpoint what you love about education and live in it. I love the kids". I know many teachers, especially in the over populated big cities like Chicago and DC that get burned out easily. Overcrowded classrooms, discipline problems and not enough resources to go around. I also like the related resources that go with this article, especially "Teacher Burnout: Start Preventing It Now!" This article focuses on teachers working together, collaboration and finding a life.

    References:
    H Wolpert-Gawron. (2013, September 30). Teachers: Staying positive in trying times. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/teaching-staying-positive-trying-time-heather-wolpert-gawron

    Provenzano, N. (2013, August 8). Teacher Burnout: Start Preventing It Now! Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/blog/teacher-burnout-start-preventing-now-nicholas-provenzano


    ReplyDelete